How to Write a Professional Resume
The resume is the very basic and an important thing when you are applying for a job. Qualification or experiences only matter when your resume is put in a good condition otherwise there are chances of you getting rejected for the job or an interview because of a poor resume. There are various information that you need to mention on your resume and given below are some advice and tips to make you build a professional resume. The main topics that should be covered in your resume are:
Purpose of your Resume
It’s important to know that your resume is a tool to convince the interviewer and it should demonstrate the following things:
- That you have the right education and qualifications
- That you have the correct skills and right experience
- That you meet all the requirements of the organization and the job
- That you are a professional and a dedicated to the job.
Length of your Resume
There is no particular limit for writing a resume. It varies according to people’s education and experiences. But make sure that you do not write too much, it should be precise and well-presented.
Order of writing the details in a Resume
The resume should be written in the following format:
- Contact details- You should begin with mentioning your name, email address and a contact phone number, including your home address (though it is optional).These details should be mentioned in the main body itself.
- Key skills- The key skills should relate to the job post you are applying for. Also mention few that compels the reader to get convinced; these may include the organizations’ requirements and essentials for the job.
- Software skills/ technical skills- This must include the list of software or programming languages that you have learned and have full command over it. These might include spreadsheet software and other computer programming languages.
- Personal attributes- If you haven’t got much work experience ,then your personal attributes can work as an alternative. With attributes we mean qualities like honest, reliable, trustworthy, etc.
- Educational qualifications- The Educational qualification shows your highest level of education and it should be precise without any mention of the results. Along with the qualifications you may also include the achievements too.
- Work experience or Employment history- While mentioning the qualifications and work experience follow the chronological order ,i.e., start with the most recent job and then go backwards. Also if you don’t have the work experience then you may include your projects or internships or volunteer work.
- References- The resume should atleast have the name of two people those who have worked with you earlier and will recommend you for the job post. You should mention their names, title of the position and their contact.
Other than this you should make sure that your resume doesn’t have things like your medical records, gender, health statements, etc. Make sure that you stick to easy-to-read formats and fonts and the size should be 12-14. Last but not the least, make sure you review your resume atleast three- four times to remove every possible errors. For reviewing you may also take help of your co-workers or teachers, former employers or guardians.